Many users have reported experiencing Application Error 0xc0000906 when trying to launch a third-party application on Windows PC. While this error code is triggered for multiple applications for some users, some affected users dealt with the error only with a few selected software or applications. One of the examples of the error prompt is as follows:
FarCry4.exe – Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000906).
Click OK to close the application.
If you are one of those getting the same error, try the fixes we have mentioned in this article to get rid of the error. But before that, let us explore the reasons that trigger the error to understand the fixes better.
What causes the Application Error 0xc0000906 on Windows?
Here are some of the possible causes that may trigger the Application Error 0xc0000906 on Windows:
- This error is most likely occurred due to system file corruption that is interfering with the DLL files essential for launching the applications. If the scenario is applicable, you can try using the Windows inbuilt tools including SFC and DISM to fix the system corruption.
- It can be caused due to compatibility issues, especially if you are trying to run an old application. Try running the application in compatibility mode to fix the error.
- If you are using an overprotective antivirus, it can interfere and block the application. If the scenario applies, disable your antivirus to resolve the problem.
- The error can also be triggered due to the faulty installation of the software itself. If that is the case, you can try reinstalling the software to fix the issue.
- This error can also be a result of any recent changes that you have made to the system. It can be the installation of a problematic third-party app or a driver update. In that case, you can roll back your PC to a previous state using System Restore to counter the issue.
Here are the methods to fix Application Error 0xc0000906 on Windows 11/10:
- Run SFC and DISM scans.
- Disable third-party antivirus software.
- Run the application in compatibility mode with administrator privilege.
- Reinstall the software.
- Perform a System Restore.
1] Run SFC and DISM scans
The 0xc0000906 error code is often triggered when you are dealing with some kind of system file corruption. If the scenario is applicable, you can try scanning your PC for corrupted or missing system files and then fix them. The most effective way to do that is to use the Windows inbuilt utilities called System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM). You can try running SFC and DISM scans to fix system file corruption and restore the healthy state of your system.
Here is how to run the scans:
- Firstly, launch the Command Prompt with administrator privilege.
- Now, type the below command to perform an SFC scan and press Enter:
- When the SFC scan is complete, enter the below commands one by one to run the DISM scan:
Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthDism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
- The scan will take 10-15 minutes to complete, so be patient. Once the scans are done, go ahead with rebooting your PC and then see if the error is now fixed.
If this method doesn’t help you resolve the error, move on to the next potential fix to get rid of the error.
Read: How to fix csc.exe application error in Windows 11/10.
2] Disable third-party antivirus software
If you are using an overprotective third-party antivirus suite on your Windows PC, there are chances that it might have blocked or deleted files or processes associated with the software. As a result, you might end up receiving Application Error 0xc0000906. So, you can try turning off your antivirus and see if the error is fixed or not.
In case you are able to fix the error by disabling your antivirus, you can be sure that the main culprit is your antivirus. To counter the problem, add the concerned software to the list of exclusion/exception/whitelist in your antivirus. This will make sure that your antivirus doesn’t block the software.
3] Run the application in compatibility mode with administrator privilege
If you still get the same error, there are chances that you are dealing with compatibility issues, especially with older software. In case the scenario is applicable, you can try running the application in compatibility mode and as an administrator and see if it fixes the error for you. Here are the steps to do that:
- Firstly, go to the software executable which is throwing the Application Error 0xc0000906, and right-click on it.
- From the context menu, select the Properties option.
- Now, inside the Properties window, go to the Compatibility tab.
- Next, enable the Run this program in compatibility mode option and then select an earlier version of Windows to run the program. You can experiment with the version to see which one works for you.
- After that, check the Run this program as administrator option present under the Settings section.
- Finally, press the Apply button and then hit the OK button to save changes.
You can now try running the software that was initially giving you the error and see if the problem is fixed. If it works, well and good. In case it doesn’t, try the next solution to fix the problem.
See: Fix Application Load Error in Steam on Windows PC.
4] Reinstall the software
If none of the above solutions worked for you, you can try reinstalling the software. In case you are dealing with the corrupted or faulty installation of the software, this should fix the problem for you. So, try uninstalling the problematic program by going to the Settings > Apps > Apps & features section. After the uninstallation, download the installer for the application from the official source and install it back on your PC. Hopefully, this will fix the error for you.
5] Perform a System Restore
If you started experiencing the Application Error 0xc0000906 just recently, there are chances that the error is triggered due to some recent system change. Some third-party services might be held responsible for the error. Now, if the scenario is applicable, you should try performing a system restore and check if it helps you fix the error. Performing a system restore will roll back your PC to an earlier state where you didn’t receive this error. However, doing so will result in losing all the changes (e.g., installed applications, drivers, games, customizations, etc.) that you made since the restore point. So, be sure of what you are doing.
Here are the steps to perform a system restore on Windows 11/10:
- Firstly, press Win+R hotkey to evoke the Run dialog box and enter rstrui in it to open up the System Restore window.
- Now, inside the System Restore window, press the Next button, and on the next screen, you will see various system restore points. You can select the Show more restore points checkbox to view all system restore points.
- Next, you can analyze the system restore points and check the dates to which you want to roll back your PC.
- Once you analyze the correct system restore point, select it and hit on the Next button, and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the system restore process.
- When the process is done, your system will reboot and the previous state will be restored. You can now try launching the application and check whether the error is resolved now.
Read: Fix WerMgr.exe or WerFault.exe Application Error in Windows 11/10.
What does it mean when your computer says Application Error?
“Application Error” is an error that basically means that your computer is unable to process the files and settings needed to open a specific software program. It can occur due to different reasons, like corrupted or missing system files, corrupted software installation, antivirus interference, etc. It is suggested to go through the above-mentioned solutions to get the job done.
How do I fix the Windows application error?
Depending upon the error code, you can try fixing the Application Error using the aforementioned tips and tricks. For example, if you are facing the Application Error 0xc0000906, this guide will help you fix it up. In case you are experiencing Application Error 0xc0150004, you can try disabling antivirus, check the integrity of the program’s executable file, run SFC and DISM scans, etc. Finally, you can opt for the Safe Mode and try resolving this issue in Safe mode.
Now read: Fix Explorer.exe application error on Windows 11/10.